Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Mass, the tradition!!


Mass on Christmas morning.
I go to mass with my parents on the 25Th of December
at 11am in Rolestown Church, I have done
since i was two years old
(I was living in New york when I was one, and went to mass there)
We always go no matter what, but why? I no i am
not the only person that doesn't go to Mass all year round but 'HAS' to go on Christmas morning. And if i didn't go I no I would feel so guilty, even though I have never once felt guilty for not going to Mass on a regular Sunday.
In the past ALL catholic families in Ireland would have went to mass on Christmas morning (not to mention every other Sunday) and a lot of families would have also gone to Mass on Christmas eve.
In more recent times people have started to just go to Mass on Christmas eve rather than Christmas morning, as they don't have enough "time" on Christmas day.
But why do we bother at all, why do we feel the need to got to Mass at Christmas.

I must admit i do actually enjoy Mass on Christmas day, the carol singing, looking at the crib etc.. but as a child i hated it all i wanted to do was stay at home and play with my toys and munch on bars from my selection boxes. It was so annoying being forced to leave your toys and get showered and into your 'new' Christmas clothes, but i think i hated it so much because the reason for why we go to Mass on Christmas day was not stressed enough. Christmas day is now focused on presents, the perfect roast dinner and Christmas cake, having beautiful decorations etc...


Has the real point of Christmas been lost?I think so...

No comments: